Saturday, April 14, 2007

Breast is Best! (Why we're Breastfeeding)

I figured since I was all excited about my breast pump that I should explain why my choice is to breastfeed.

First, it's the best food for babies. Numerous studies have shown that there are compounds in breastmilk that can't be synthetically created in formula. So much development occurs in the baby's first year, that I want to give the baby the best start I can - some of the compounds in breastmilk are linked with increased cognitive function. The other components of breastmilk that are really important are my antibodies that I give to the baby. With my seasonal allergies and history of asthma, giving my baby breastmilk can help little Nugget maybe avoid some of those allergies. Granted it's not certain that it will do anything - I was breastfed and I still have allergies and asthma, although they didn't show up until I was 11 or 12. But it's worth a shot!
I'm not going to say that formula is evil or anything, it's certainly a good thing for adopted children and for those children whose mothers can't physically breastfeed, and we have made excellent advanced in formula that make it closer than in years past, but if you pit breastmilk against formula, breastmilk will win by a landslide.

Second, breasts are smart - they read signals from the baby's saliva and create milk that has the exact balance of nutrients and fat, in the exact amount that baby needs. I would like my boobs to live up to their intelligent potential instead of just being body ornaments.

Third, the action of suckling on a breast promotes good jaw strength and development. There is no bottle on the market that does this, despite their claims to be "like the breast".

Fourth, breastfeeding encourages my uterus to contract back to it's dormant-state size (and can reduce the risk of post-birth hemmorage if done immediately), and some women find that breastfeeding helps with taking off any extra pounds that came with pregnancy. I have a matron-of-honor gown to wear just over a month postpartum - so I'll take the benefits to me as well.

Fifth, not only does it promote attachment and bonding with baby, but breastfeeding also releases oxytocin in the mother, which has calming properties in addition to creating the neurochemical balance needed to stimulate caring behavior and bonding. Oxytocin has also been implicated in the post-natural birth euphoria experienced by mothers.

Sixth, It'll keep my boobs bigger for longer, which will help my waist look smaller as I'm loosing baby weight and toning my tummy again (yeah, I know they're still small - but every little gain in size counts!)

Seventh, on average exclusively breastfed babies diapers don't smell AS raunchy as formula fed babies - they're no picnic either, but it's not AS bad. This all goes out the window the second cereal is added though.

Eight, you can feed wherever you are without needing powders, water, can openers or anything - you can just whip out a boob and baby is fed (this also means less dishes when you're not pumping). I really did need a viable excuse just to post the phrase "whip out a boob" on the internet.

Plus, I think that it's really neat and I'd like to experience all the neat things that my body can do. I know it won't be easy (after all if it were, formula companies would go broke - there aren't statistically enough women who adopt or who physically can't breastfeed to keep them afloat all alone), but I think it's well worth the sacrifice - even if it means that I'll have to keep my wine tasting to a minimum when we go to Napa Valley!

3 comments:

Marcus Howell said...

"whip out a boob" = Hello! random Google users!

{ k }

lance said...

Ironically enough, Cecil Adams tackled this subject just a day earlier:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/070413.html

Stefanie said...

We were recently at a wedding where one of the guests had a newborn that she was breastfeeding. She didn't have the baby at the wedding, though, and by the end of the night her boobs had grown and were ready to pop out of her dress. So, just keep the baby handy at the wedding and I'm sure you'll be fine. And hey, what's more fun that whipping out your boobs at a wedding? :)