Sunday, April 29, 2007

Life Imitates Art

After some shopping at Babies R Us and Indian food, we went home and sat down for some TV. As we were skipping around the TiVO, we caught the beginning of the Friends episode, The One Where They're Up All Night. For those of you who do not have a Friends obsession, this episode features Phoebe destroying a smoke detector that won't stop making it's "battery-low" beep. Unfortunately for us, when Cheryl woke to pee around 3am, life imitated art. Only she didn't want to wake me up and proceeded to try to fall back asleep even though our smoke detector beeped every 6 minutes. Finally around 4am, her tossing, turning, and obvious lack of sleeping did wake me up.

Our smoke detectors are mounted to the ceiling, and while we have a step stool, our ceilings are, like, 12ft high so it is a bit of a stretch. So I climbed up and pulled out the battery and started heading back to bed. It beeps again. I climb back up and pull it off the ceiling to find it has backup AC power connection. So I disconnect the power and satisfied stumble back to bed. It beeps again. Just as I was going for the hammer I realized the beep was coming from a different smoke detector -- we have something like three in every room apparently. So, I shuffled my chair and phone books to the other one and silenced it. Falling back to sleep, Cheryl was concerned about the first one now being disconnected, as it was the only one that was a CO detector as well -- so I got back up again and hooked it all together and put the battery back in. Done.



Good practice for baby wake-up calls I guess.

No comments: