We're in Jefferson District, which was known for better elementary schools, particularly ours, which started in 2006. However, all children go to Tracy Unified Schools for High School (why there are two elementary districts when all kids end up in the Tracy Unified district for high school is beyond me). The other reason why we originally wanted to live within Jefferson district was because they had a traditional school year and being that I was working on a traditional school year schedule as a professor at the time, I wanted RJ's schedule to match mine. Tracy Unified, at the time, had year round school on a couple of different tracks where they would have 2-3 week breaks at varying intervals, which would've wreaked havoc with my academic schedule. Anyway, it's a moot point now, since that system is now gone and the whole city is on the traditional academic calendar again. That's the extent to which we looked into the schools when we moved back in 2008, and were happy with our decision. That is until RJ turned 4 and I started looking into things further. First, I learned that only half-day Kindergarten was offered by our neighborhood school, Traina, which I was disappointed about. Also, having been exposed to the options that other friends had in other cities (Turlock had several unique programs, as do many cities in the Bay Area, which isn't surprising, because EVERYTHING is better in the Bay Area), I was disappointed to learn that we basically had next to nothing in terms of magnet schools, charter schools, or duel immersion language programs, and while we were in one of the best schools in Tracy, it wasn't super outstanding either.
I am a huge dork and was super excited to make him his school lunch. We bought him a small bento box for his lunch bag, and I made him a Lightning McQueen bento for his first day. Lance thought I was torturing him by making the car out of a roasted beet, but RJ LOVES beets and finished the whole thing, and loved it. Daddy worked from home for the first day so that he could help walk him to and from school (we live .62 miles from the school and I refuse to drive and idle in the pick up line unless I absolutely have to), which RJ loved. Drop off was actually fairly uneventful and RJ seemed to go with the flow, more than even I expected. His teacher, Mrs. Lassell, let the parents walk them into the classroom, but very quickly had the kids wave good-bye and sent us on our merry way.
When we picked him up, he was in great spirits (although he was whining about how hot it was because it was boiling outside - completely oblivious to the fact that we had also walked TO the school while he was still in his nice air conditioned classroom) and rattled off a description of his day, which seemed to be mostly procedural stuff, like learning to raise his hand and the school rules. He also came home wearing a ladybug hat and a ladybug coloring sheet (Child Development people, don't EVEN get me started on the coloring sheet...that rant is for another blog post, which I'm sure is coming soon[Editors note: see my Momma, Ph.D. blog for a homework critique, of which I hope to still do more]).
The good news is that while he spent his first week in PM kindergarten, by the end of the week, there was an opening in AM kindergarten, and my argument for switching him was convincing enough for the principal, so he began his second week in the morning class, with a new teacher, Mrs. Finton. It might have been a whirlwind start, but we're getting into the groove now, we officially have a kindergartner, and I'm sure we're in for quite a ride!
More pictures: HERE

No comments:
Post a Comment