Monday, August 6, 2012

Cheryl Climbs Diablo - August 5, 2012

bye bye old climbing shoes
Thank goodness for my friend Laura!  I didn't have to wait long before climbing again, which was good, because I didn't want to wait another 6 years since I needed to buy new shoes (my rubber had split) and a new harness (since mine was "expired").

Although I was worried at first because I was excited to get started and got there a bit early.


It was really peaceful being there so early though.  The fog was just starting to lift and the air was fresh, and I didn't have to worry about any children getting stung by yellow jackets.  And Mount Diablo is closer to my house at just over an hour away (you can actually see the summit of Mount Diablo from our neighborhood and we've been there a few times, both with RJ as a baby and hiking alone).  



Lydia borrowed sunscreen and
found herself a little white.
The next day I made sure to get
RJ on the wall at the playground
Laura and Lydia got there and we found the climb we wanted on Boy Scout Rocks.  We were fortunate to have a friendly group next to us, who consisted of a couple taking their 11 year old nephew (and his mom/their sister/in-law) climbing outdoors for the first time.   We even swapped ropes a few times after checking each other's set ups.  It was a really cool experience getting to see a kid out there, because I got a glimpse of what I could have with RJ and Logan if they get interested in climbing too.  SO COOL!!








We focused mostly on a bitch of a crack climb, which was challenging, but good.  I didn't look quite so graceful this time out!

I think the photo credit goes to Laura, because Lydia
was belaying.

Lydia looks MUCH more
graceful in the crack.
Lydia's view from above

Can't wait to go again!
More pictures here.

No comments: