I made lego playmat bags to hold the favors. These served not only the purpose of carrying the lego-shaped chocolate, but also for carrying each kids lego creation that they could take home. I bought a couple lots of random lego pieces on ebay and let the kids either fill their bag or make a creation and put it in the bag. The bonus was that RJ got to keep whatever was left over from that activity in his own personal (growing) lego stash.
In addition to the make and take lego table, we also had a building station for legos that stayed in our house, and a little-kid duplo station (thanks to the awesome garage sale find of a giant moving box of duplos, including 4 Thomas & Friends trains, track, and other specialty pieces, for $30). Kids and adults also had to guess how many legos fit in a mason jar to win mini-figures.
I also tried to make the food lego-like. We had lego ice (love that silicone lego mold!) in our lemonade, the cheese for the crackers was all cut up in tiny circles to look like lego brick tops, ants on a log, and for the main entree, I made mass quantities of my fruit/veggie puree waffles and Aidell's sausages, so we had strawberry waffles, chard waffles, pumpkin waffles, and blueberry waffles! And RJ requested sushi, so we got the big sushi platter from costco (yeah, not the BEST sushi, but it worked for a party).
And since I know you're all waiting to see the cake...
Making lego brick cake doesn't sound too complicated, but I of course had to make it somehow more complicated by messing around with the flavors and fillings and toppings. We had three different flavors of cake - orange-lemon, blueberry, and strawberry, each with matching flavored fillings (which were a frosting base). And because I wanted the frosting smooth and shiny, but I don't like the taste of fondant, I attempted to coat the entire cake in different colors of white chocolate. For how basic it was, it wasn't my prettiest cake, but the flavors were delicious (yes, I'm modest I know - but I did get lots of compliments!). And RJ loved that it was toppled lego bricks with a 5 build on top of one (the blue one - it sort of slid) and had a minifigure guy!
We unfortunately didn't take a lot of pictures, since we were too busy having fun, but you can find some here.
The main thing was that RJ and his friends had a lot of fun!


No comments:
Post a Comment