Saturday, June 25, 2011

May Highlights

By May, we finally recovered from our trip, but spent most of the month taking turns being sick, with Lance taking the brunt of it. RJ started the ball rolling getting a bit of a cold and pink eye in late April, which led to Lance getting pink eye and the sniffles, which were initially diagnosed as allergies and treated with allergy drops and allergy meds, which mostly failed to do anything other that perhaps let bacteria take over, which led Lance to spike fevers up into the 104 range. Logan also came down with pink eye and the head cold, but he was diagnosed with pink eye a few days BEFORE Lance and got the drops that cleared up the infection. The DreamWorks doctor (not his PCP) gave him some antibiotics and an eye gel to clear up the infection, but 3 days later, he was still spiking fevers in the 103 range ON ADVIL and TYLENOL and was not doing well at all! So he barely got himself to his PCP, who switched him to a different antibiotic, which finally started working. During this time, I was clearly fighting whatever germs were circulating, because I had a pretty steady low grade fever (never really went over 100), and was run down because I was taking care of everyone else. Luckily, my body never let me get pink eye or more than the sniffles. Lance finally started to feel better again and after 14 days of antibiotics, by the end of May we thought we were clear of illness.

In addition to May being the month of illness, RJ also started preschool. He goes for two full days a week - currently Tuesday and Thursday, but we will be switching to Tuesday, Wednesday when a Wednesday slot opens up because I want him to attend on two consecutive days rather than separated days since he often misses out on activities that are finished the next day and consecutive days of attendance is generally better for children who thrive on consistent routines. If/when we can afford a third day, I'd like to add Thursdays too, so that he could have more consecutive days to prepare for kindergarten (maybe we will a month or so before Kindergarten next year just to get him ready).  I really love his preschool - it's an engaging program where he is challenged in a developmentally appropriate way, and his teachers are incredibly responsive and kind. 
He has started to make tons of things out of paper recently.  For example, when he didn't have his sharks to play with at school, he made giant sharks out of paper.  This has carried over at home as he has started making paper creations like the paper squid after reading about it in a book.  This is entirely his design and mostly his execution (tape requires a little help). 

Logan has really blossomed with RJ being at preschool since I can now focus on him alone and actually have an uninterrupted conversation with him or read some of the toddler books to him (again without interruption).  He started talking more after the first week of RJ being at preschool!  It might have been a coincidence, but it was quite a dramatic shift in his vocalizations!  He is very talkative when RJ isn't around, and my favorite phrase was after his nap when he walked over with his shoes and said, "Ah-Day.  Dooz", which translated from baby --> English means RJ, shoes, which I further took to mean, "Mom, it's time to get RJ, put on my shoes", which was appropriate for what time it was.  He is still a great eater, often eating more than RJ at each sitting!  Luckily he eats a good percentage of the veggies from our weekly CSA share.  And he is definitely in a climbing phase.  This is my personal favorite picture of him both climbing where he shouldn't and exposing himself to the whole neighborhood!




RJ started gymnastics up again, and still enjoys it - he was fortunate to have Coach Ashley again (she was also the coach in March, and he loves her!). I love watching him learn to do different things with his body and I like how they work with the young children at Classic Gymnastics, so that they are building skills and continually engaged. Enjoy this video to see what I mean (he's in the red t-shirt):


We also had to say Good-bye to some very good friends who moved away, which I'll write about in the next post.

More May pictures here.  Here's hoping June is a better month!

No comments: