Friday, June 3, 2011

DeLancey Family Spring Travels Volume VII: Buffalo, NY

Accommodations: Mom's House

Sunday April 17:
We drove from Pittsburgh to Buffalo and settled in for the evening.

Monday April 18:
My grandfather was in the hospital, so Grammie watched the kiddos while I went to visit with him. It's hard seeing someone you love sick, but at least I was in town and could hand deliver the Get Well drawings RJ and Logan (with Grammie's help) made for him. A few days after we returned to California, he was released, and then ended up back in the hospital with a bleeding ulcer, and last I heard, he was transferred to a nursing facility to rehabilitate after his illness and the cauterization of the ulcer. So he is thankfully on the mend!
We also took Gramma Ho! Ho! out to Red Lobster that night for what turned out to be RJ's third lobster of the trip. There is certainly no denying that he is my child - his insistence on getting that lobster was incredible. Then there was the disappointment that I "only" got him a lobster tail instead of the whole damned thing.

Tuesday April 19:
I am seriously under the impression that Tuesday is positively the WORST day to be in Buffalo with children. I had been wanting to take the kids to the Explore and More museum in East Aurora. It is only open Wednesday through Sunday and we were only in town Monday and Tuesday. Then Mom and I thought that the Herschell Carousel Factory museum would be cool for the kids. Guess what? During the Spring, they are also closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. We thought about driving to Rochester to take the kids to the Strong National Museum of Play again, which is tons of fun, but the kids were already worn out from all the driving and traveling. I really didn't want to mess with them any more than I had to since I was going to have a full 12 hours of travelling with them solo on Wednesday. So we ended up hitting the Niagara Factory Outlet Mall and they got to ride the coin-operated mall rides and eat frozen yogurt.

Wednesday April 20:
While it would've been nice to stay with family a little longer and perhaps stay for Easter, we were so travel weary, I was relieved to be going home. I was done living out of a suitcase and carting the kids around, and they were done with being carted around and not having time to just play like normal. Sure, they got to do some exciting things and see family and friends, but there is a limit to how much of that a 3.75 year old and a 14.5 month old can take! Three weeks of the break neck pace we were on was definitely stretching the limit quite a bit. Luckily, our trip home wasn't too bad, though we all could've done without the delay in Cleveland. It was nice to sleep in our own beds that night!

A few more pictures are here.

No comments: