Friday, July 2, 2010

Logan at 5 months

Logan is a great baby!

Weight: 17.67 lbs.
Height: Still no data - we visit the doctor at the end of this week.
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Light Brown
Sizes: he is wearing larger 6-9 months AND 9-12 months clothes.
Vocalizations Squeals, coos, grunts, and laughs/giggles. "goo" "buhbuhbuh", raspberries

Motor Development: Logan's new skill is sitting unassisted.  He can do it for quite a while (~10 minutes), but it's inconsistent, so we make sure he has something/someone to fall back/forward on.  Logan can also now turn 360 + degrees while on his back. Logan wants to play all the time. The source of much of his frustration is that he doesn't quite have the fine motor control to maneuver his toys the way he wants all the time.  The toys he can maneuver go directly in his mouth OR get thrown off the high chair/swing/bouncer.  I swear he does this on purpose some of the time. 

Cognitive/Perceptual Development: He is still interested in toys and enjoys looking at high contrast and bright toys. He also still seems fascinated by all crinkly toy.s and has a newly discovered love for toys that squeak. He also loves and responds to music and likes when I make him "dance" to the music.  New this month is Logan's awareness of his own feet, which go directly in his mouth. He has also gained a bit of intentionality in his play.  Logan seems to have some representation abilities since he gets upset when he loses a toy and he gets upset when people leave the room.

Relationships: Same as last month.  He is aware of people and wants our attention. He also actively reaches out for attention vocally (fussing when we're not paying attention to him), and physically (he licks me to get my attention in the middle of the night). 

Eating: Same as last month. Logan still nurses about every two hours during the day - although I can occasionally stretch him to 2.5 or 3 hours, particularly over naps. At night, I seem to feed him around 9,  11, and then every two hours after 2 or 3. Our goal is still to exclusively breastfeed until 6 months, when we'll start some "solids". We haven't tried to give him a bottle of pumped milk again, but I think I'll try again after we start some solids next month.


Sleep: Logan usually falls asleep nursing around 9pm (after RJ gets to bed). Then he stays asleep, with brief eating breaks until about 7am, give or take an hour.  I'd still like him to wake up less at might, but he will eventually figure out that he doesn't need to eat that much. We're still working on naps, but I've found that since I can now wear him on my back in the ergo, the timing isn't as crucial.  I am still working on the patterns and the routine, but I'm not stressing about it as much.  He is a lot more flexible than RJ was/is, so we can do more and still have a reasonably happy baby


Logan just keeps getting more and more fun with each new development!

No comments: