This post is way overdue. The Biennial Meeting of the Society for Research on Child Development (SRCD) was April 2 - 4 in Denver, CO and I had a poster accepted to present at the Teaching Institute on April 1. Since Lance and RJ have never been to Colorado, we decided that they should come too. (Actually at the time when we bought our tickets, RJ hadn't officially quit breastfeeding at night, so in retrospect, I think Lance and RJ HAD to come since the boobies were going on the trip.)
Lance's mom found cheap tickets to come too, so Lance got to see his mom and RJ got to see his Grandma! An added bonus was that once RJ was down for the night, Lance and I got to go out on the town a little. One night we hit Coyote Ugly, which was the closest bar to our hotel, for a couple of drinks. No, I did not dance on the bar, which I know is not like me, but conferences are tiring!! On another night, we met up with one of my grad school friends, Mike and his wife and got a few drinks at Rock Bottom.
It was nice to catch up on some of the Brandeis gossip with Mike and with my advisors, Joe and Mick, who were also at the conference.
I spent a good deal of the first few days at the conference, while Lance and Grandma took RJ to the library and explored the Civic Center area and we all tried to get used to the cold! It snowed on our first full day there! As RJ says, "BRRRRR, cold". Thank goodness the hotel was only a couple of blocks from the convention center and the free bus circuit!
While I took some breaks from the conference, we visited Red Rocks Ampitheater, where RJ surprised us by climbing a good half of the staircase up to the ampitheater and then most of the amphitheater stairs!
We also enjoyed exploring the small cave in the side of the Red Rocks.
On Saturday, I skipped the conference altogether so we could drive up to Boulder and visit with the Besens for lunch. RJ spent most of this time chasing Audrey around trying to kiss her and being equally overzealous in wanting to touch baby Clive, specifically pointing out that he has eyes.


After lunch, we went for a nice drive up in the mountains (hoping to give RJ a nice long nap before arriving back in Denver), but instead, he didn't really want to sleep and instead got to go out and walk in some snow, although he was not very keen on the experience and insisted on being carried instead. He did like seeing it though!
No comments:
Post a Comment