Friday, May 1, 2009

Thursday's Dinner

Toddlers are famous for being fickle about their food preferences. For dinner on a recent Thursday, RJ gobbled 3 of the following four foods available to him:

Vegetable Curry, Rice, Uncured Niman Ranch Hot Dogs, Banana

Which of these four things do you think RJ refused to eat?



If you chose the vegetable curry, you are confusing RJ with a "normal" toddler. The child actually refused the hot dogs. This seems to be a recurring theme. Teacher Kasie asked me a couple of weeks ago if RJ liked hot dogs, and I told her that I really didn't know because we don't really have them too often and the few times he's had them available he spit them right back out. Apparently, they had hot dogs and honeydew for a snack at school and all the other children gobbled up their hot dogs with abandon and most wouldn't touch the honeydew, whereas RJ ate all his honeydew, refused to eat the hot dogs and kept asking for more honeydew!

He consistently refuses meats of all kinds. Occasionally I can sneak a meatball in his spaghetti and he occasionally takes a bite of Ian's chicken or fish nuggets, but he's mostly vegetarian.

I've tried to ask him what his deal with meat was.
Mommy: "RJ, what's wrong with your meatball?"
RJ: "No like it!!"

This isn't really a problem, but I definitely have to think more about how he's getting his iron. Luckily, he'll eat beans and lentils!

No comments: