Saturday, January 10, 2009

Real Men DO Eat Quiche!!

This video requires a bit of an explanation, even though Lance hates it when I feel the need to write longer blog posts to explain something. But in this case, most blog readers would have no idea what on earth this video is about otherwise.

First, RJ is still relatively picky about eating meat of any kind - so getting protein that isn't in the form of milk or yogurt into the boy is a challenge. He is the oddball kid that isn't crazy about eating chicken nuggets or peanut butter and jelly!! He does eat beans on occasion (lately he's been picky about them and will spit them out), but one protein source that he LOVES is quiche. It's a bonus for me, since I can also get a bunch of green vegetables into him that way too (although veggies are much less of a challenge than meat...go figure).

So when RJ and I left for Pittsburgh this holiday season, one of the things that I packed for our first day there was a container of quiche. Technically, it was a frittata because there was no crust. However, Lance's Uncle Jim seemed hellbent on getting RJ to give up the ONE protein that's a sure thing for him by informing RJ that, "Real Men Don't Eat Quiche". This is actually a title from a book published in the early 80's about stereotypes (thank you wikipedia!). He also teached RJ to say, "bleh!" to quiche. Luckily it did not seem to affect RJ's eating that evening, but I was a bit worried for what he would do the next time I made a quiche. This video is for Great Uncle Jim, from RJ, who lucky for Uncle Jim, still LOVES his quiche, and believes that this love has no bearing on his masculinity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haha. I remember my Mom gave my Dad a copy of that book for Christmas at some point in the 80s.

YOu're going to laugh - have you tried Clif bars? That's still Brenna's primary source of protein, and she wolfs them down (heaven knows why, I think they taste like dirt). Delamie seems to enjoy them too. (Peanut- and tree nut-free flavors, of course.)

---- Eileen