The sick day. I've noticed since moving to California that people seem to take sick days much more frequently. Presumably they are sick but I think more often than not they are just fine. I don't think I took a sick day over the five years I spent working in Boston, but now we've found the sick day is an essential perk for parenting. Every time RJ gets sick things become chaotic.
I've already taken four sick days this year, one for myself when I got the flu and three days to cover for days when RJ was sick and quarantined from school. Cheryl has had to miss two days as well. Luckily for one day she could have someone else proctor an exam, but for the other she had to cancel class and appointments. All of our babysitters are students at CSU Stanislaus, so we couldn't even get a babysitter to help Cheryl get any work done from home.
In the last month, poor RJ has really given us a lot to handle. He had a diarrhea bug for 2 weeks (luckily he was still allowed to go to school even before it officially cleared up) and then got a monster cold, which started like pink eye and later developed into bronchitis and a double ear infection. The annoying part is we took him to the doctor not once, not twice, but three times over 9 days before the diagnosis. Anyway, we're in day 8 of the 10 day course of Amoxicillin and he's back to 100%. It is the most frustrating thing when he's sick because he refuses to eat solid food. Those lips stay sealed shut.
We hope he can keep it together for a few more weeks when the semester ends -- then the day care cooties will not be a factor for a few months.
No comments:
Post a Comment