Monday, July 30, 2012

Cheryl Climbs Again...and a Climb-B-Q

My first climbing trip.
Yes, I'm climbing in Keds
Those of you who have known me for longer than we've had this blog know that once upon a time, I enjoyed climbing rocks.  This was a hobby that certainly made (makes) my mother nervous, but ever since the first time I was exposed to climbing way back during the summer prior to my Junior year of High School (1995), I was hooked.  Many people ask why on earth we'd want to dangle on ropes inching up rock faces and my answer is that it's just exhilarating. It makes you feel like a small part of nature, but powerful and accomplished. It's hot in the sun, but the air is fresh and your lungs suck it it easily. It's not a sport for everyone, but for me, it just feels right.  Climbing exercises your whole body and the view at the top is well work the scuffs and sore muscles.



Climbing in College
Despite my love of the sport, I have not been inside of a rock gym since at least 2006, when my friends Michele and Otte were my most frequent climbing buddies in Boston.  Sometime during our lives in Boston, I dragged Lance to the rock gym to see if he'd like to be my permanent climbing buddy, or at least my permanent belayer, but alas, the sport was not for him.
2nd climbing trip
I haven't been climbing outside since the summer prior to my Junior year of college (1999).  Fast forward to 2012 when my friend (and Kappa sister) Laura had started climbing outdoors and organized what she dubbed the "Climb-B-Q".  The plan was climbing in the morning, followed by a BBQ at her house, followed by a bonfire on the beach.  This sounds like an awesome day, and for me, it mostly was.

We left early in the morning with the boys still in their pajamas, so that we could get to Castle Rock State Park bright and early (it's about 1.5 hrs away).  We even treated them to Boston Creme doughnuts for breakfast in the car, which was a gigantic mistake.  We got there and decided that even though Lance and the boys were only dropping me off, that they'd hike to the base of the climb with me.
The hike wasn't too long or too rough for the boys, and then they'd get to watch the first climb.  I was really proud of how well RJ did on the hike in (a lot of times, hiking = whining with RJ), and I just loved being there, in the woods, in the Santa Cruz Mountains.  The fog was still around, the redwoods smelled awesome, and the view, even from the base of the climb, was beautiful.  

However, all perfect things must come to an end quickly.  There was a yellow jacket nest nearby that we had woken up hiking in.  And yellow jackets are attracted to Boston Creme doughnut remnants, because the little fucker landed on Logan's nose, causing Logan to grab at it (to get it off his nose), which led to him getting stung or bit (there is a lack of consensus on which it was, since yellow jackets don't lose their stingers when they sting) on the lip, and twice on his finger.

This was clearly frightening and upsetting for Logan (not to mention US, who didn't know what kind of reaction he might have, having never been stung/bit by a yellow jacket before), whose poor lip was already swelling (and remained swollen, earning him the nickname "Botox Baby" for the rest of the weekend), but RJ was actually the kid freaking out and crying more in the midst of his worry, even after Logan calmed down.  We quickly got back on the trail to head back to civilization, just in case, but thankfully Logan was calmer already and not exhibiting any shock or bad reactions (which would have been REALLY bad since we were at least 15 minutes down the trail from the Ranger Station in the parking lot).  Once we determined that Logan was safe, Lance (proving that he is the BEST.HUSBAND.EVER) told me I could still stay and climb and he would continue with his plans of going into Santa Cruz with the boys until it was time for the BBQ portion of the day at Laura and Jesse's house.  

Made it to the biner and it felt SO good!
Photo credit: Jesse Kempa
With the scary part of the day over, things quickly became AWESOME.  I FINALLY got to climb again!  I cannot even put into words how awesome it felt to be back on a rock face.  My face in the picture should tell you that.
Photo credit: Jesse Kempa
For those of you in the know, I think we were on a 5.7 climb here, and I made it up...so not bad for a first time out after 6 years of not climbing, and having 2 children.  









After a shower and some rest at Laura & Jesse's house, it was BBQ time.  So delicious food was had by all and we got to reconnect with some other CMU alums (where the boys met a friend in their kid too), as well as meet some new people.  Unfortunately, as good of a day as I was having, Lance was having an equally bad one.  The boys were really cranky and hyperactive, because they were tired from getting up early and stir crazy from being in the car a lot while Lance searched for ice for Logan's lip and lunch, etc.  And their behavior did not improve through the BBQ, leading Lance to eventually take them up to bed (thank goodness we stayed at Laura's for the night so we didn't have to drive home), and he ended up falling asleep too, exhausted from the day.  This of course, was unfortunate since he was missing out of the fun, but did earn him the Best.Husband.Ever award yet again, since I was able to still hang out.

At this point we were getting ready for the beach bonfire, which included Laura and I putting our wine into sippy cups so we could bring it along.   I also stumbled into a mini jam session with guitars and some good Classic Rock, which continued at the bonfire.  It was a really really awesome day with friends, climbing, hiking, singing, a bonfire, and wine!  And it wasn't even my birthday!!

More pictures here.





No comments: