Monday, September 19, 2011

RJ's Swim Lessons

We signed RJ up for swimming lessons this year, but this time it was not a parent/child class.  We thought he would be less whiny for a teacher than he would be for us.  We also chose a session that was 9 classes in a row - So M-F on Week 1 and M-R on Week 2, this way he could quickly build on his skills every day.

The class started off great, as he participated and had a great time for the first two days.

Then he was completely cranky and refused to get into the "cold" water on the nearly 100 degree afternoon for the next two days.  Have I mentioned how sensitive RJ is to temperature?  It's the same thing in the bathtub, the water is either too hot or too cold!  I was so frustrated with him on those two days.  I tried appealing to his apparent lack of adventure, I tried encouraging and appealing to his feelings, I tried logic (yeah, I know he's 4), I tried being *that* parent that tells him to buck up and get in the damned pool.  He was obstinate and would barely take his turns and was clearly not trying.  I was pissed.

Friday was "Pirate Day" at swim lessons and on the way there we talked about how much fun it would.  His classmates seemed to have skipped town for the weekend, so he had the instructor (who was also a sub that day) all to himself.  He LOVED this and swam with a noodle all by himself.  He was still not too keen on going under at all, but he was at least trying and having fun.  Whew.
We lucked out on Monday and his classmates were still MIA, so he had his regular instructor all to himself too.  I was beginning to think it was the other kids (who could actually swim a little bit, and where thus WAY more advanced than him) that were the issue.  They however came back on Tuesday, and he still had a great time in class.  Especially when they did the boat safety lesson!  Maybe it wasn't the other kids.  Maybe he was just cranky those days.

He even jumped in!

Then, on the last day, he played the part of a barely wet limp noodle, again (in his defense, he was most certainly cranky because we had taken Lance to the airport for a 7am flight that morning and he wouldn't nap before class).

I guess 6/9 classes isn't horrible?

Here is a video of some of his good days:

No comments: