Saturday, November 27, 2010

Logan at 10 months

Only 2 more months until Logan is 1 year old!

Weight: 21 lbs.
Height: no new data
Size: 18 mos.
Hair: Light Brown
Eyes: Hazel - they are mostly blue sometimes a little green, with gold flecks near the iris
Teeth: 6; 4 top, 2 bottom
Vocalizations: dadada, mamama, buhbuhbuh, grrrrrr, gah, uhhg, dat
Words: boob
Signs: Milk (for nursing, but it isn't entirely consistent yet, and he tends to label what he's doing rather than use it to ASK to nurse), He also signed "more" once, but hasn't used it since.

Motor Development: Logan has mastered crawling and creeping along furniture. If there is something to pull up on, he will stand at it for a long time. He also started using the baby pushcart to walk and likes to hold onto adults legs (or hands) to walk too. And Logan can climb stairs, which he makes a bee line for whenever someone forgets to close the stairs gate. He is a fast climber and can get to the top of the stairs if you blink your eyes too fast! Logan also has good balance and can stand unsupported for a few seconds before he chooses to sit down (slowly and controlled, not falling). In terms of fine motor development, he is very precise with his pincer grasp and good at picking up very small things and directing them (usually) to his mouth after examining them and moving them from hand to hand. He has a good deal of coordination.


Cognitive/Perceptual Development: Logan has shown that he understands a great deal of what we say to him, as is evidenced by him getting excited if I ask him if he wants to nurse, and also starting to use the sign for "milk" when he wants to nurse, or, more frequently, WHILE he is nursing. I think his receptive language is really good for his age. He also navigates through the house toward a voice, even when he can't see the voice, showing that his senses are working excellently. He is also working on his understanding about objects and what they do as he has started to manipulate toys more rather than just hold and chew them. Cars roll, blocks go in and out of the bucket, buttons get pressed to hear music, rattles shake, etc. Logan also enjoys sensory experiences. He will really examine different textures and loves to play with his food (and fingerpaints which we learned when I accidentally left one of RJ's paintings within reach to dry). He can also imitate us, showing that he is paying attention to what we do and learning from it. For example, if I tap two blocks together to make noise, he picks up two blocks and does it too. He also does this verbally. RJ was getting frustrated while eating lunch today and was making that obstinent/angry kid growl/grunt sound of protest. Within minutes, Logan started repeating the growl/grunt sound, which of course made RJ laugh, thus reinforcing the behavior. Guiding children's behavior is so much more complicated when an older sibling encourages the younger one to act inappropriately by finding it hilarious.


Relationships/Personality: Logan is pretty easy going and is happy when he's getting attention.He loves hugs and kisses, although he can get annoyed when RJ restricts his movement with his overzealous hugs for too long. He generally just goes along with whatever is going on and is pretty easy to adapt to new schedules/places. He is a very busy baby too - he gets into EVERYTHING very quickly. I'm also impressed by his ability to interact with RJ as they can play together. He seems to really pay attention to what other people are doing.

Eating: Logan nurses during the day, although he has started to reduce the number of nursing sessions during the day, some days. He always nurses around 6am, 9:30am, 1/1:30pm, 3:30/4, and 7:30/8. However, he still sometimes has the 11:30 and/or the 5:30, especially if he wants comforting then or when he has a cold like he does now. He eats most foods now, primarily pureed, although he is now enjoying puffs, along with small pieces of soft cooked veggies, fruit, bread, and meats. I don't think he will continue to enjoy the purees for long since he really enjoys feeding himself finger foods off his tray and starts to fuss when his tray supply is low, even though I'm spooning puree in his face. We are still careful about salt and sugar, both of which he rarely has at all. Logan is also still working on sippy cup skills. I pump every morning to put milk in his baby cereal breakfast, and have been putting what's left every day in his foogo sippy (its the only one that's working for him now). He will drink from it, but only if I am holding it for him. This is a breakthrough for him though since he wouldn't even drink from anything other than me recently. Now I know I can be away for a feeding if I need to be.

Sleep: I am hesitant to say that Logan has improved immensely because I don't want to jinx it, but he really has been sleeping better since we got the crib. I'm not sure if it was just that the crib was more comfortable or that once we got the crib, Lance started a new policy of him not getting out of the crib at night and would sooth him laying in the crib. In any case, after we had the crib for a week, Logan actually slept through the night without needing us to help him back to sleep. He figured out how to get back to sleep himself as long as nothing was really bothering him. He does still have a few rough nights where he does need help to get back down, but I think we're finally seeing a light at the end of the tunnel where we won't be constantly stressing about his sleep or losing sleep ourselves. Logan typically nurses around 7:45/8 and I put him down when he finishes, around 8:15/8:30, by which time, he's usually asleep. If he's not asleep, I rub his back in the crib to help him. I've started reciting Good Night Moon when nursing him to sleep so that he has that as a sleep association as well as nursing. He gets up between 5 and 6 to nurse and typically falls asleep nursing in bed with me and wakes between 7 and 8:30 for the day. We're working on getting more consistent nap times, but his morning nap is variable depending on when he wakes up. Sometimes he naps at 9:30, sometimes not until 11/11:30, and sometimes he skips it altogether or just takes a quick snooze while nursing and wakes up when I put him down. His afternoon nap is also variable depending on the morning nap. Sometimes it starts at 1/1:30, and sometimes not until 3:30. I'd love if he could get this consistent, but at this point as long as he doesn't sleep past 5:30, we're usually okay for bedtime still. At this point, I'm just glad he has figured out how to settle himself during the night by himself!

Logan is really becoming quite the character now that he's more mobile and able to communicate.

No comments: