As of late, RJ has been demanding some musical entertainment from me in the car. I'm not quite sure why I started singing "Row Row Row Your Boat" to him one day on our commute home, but now I seem to have brought out his musical side. Since he first figured out that if he says "Row?", it gets Mommy to sing, the demand for music has not stopped.
Also in the repoirtoire of requests is "Eeeieeeieeeieeieeeieei...." or as it is more commonly known, "Old Mac Donald". Again, WHY did I do this to myself??? Oh well, the literature on education tells me that hearing live singing and being allowed to sing themselves (no matter how annoying 5 minutes straight of just singing "eeieeieeeieeeioh" is) is good for young children's cognitive development.
Then RJ started adding songs that he sings at school into the lineup. Unfortunately, while I know the lyrics to a pretty large repetoire of children's songs (Thank you, 4 years at the Carnegie Mellon Children's School!), I was not prepared to sing "Bear Hunt" when I figured out that all his knee slapping meant that he wanted that song in particular. This led to enough tantrums (even after I attempted to sing what little I knew of it in a really half-assed manner), that I finally asked Krishawn to make me a copy of the "Bear Hunt" CD that they use at school. This CD is fantastic. Not only does it make RJ happy (Only if he asks nicely for "Hut, Peeze" though. I do not want to give in to the tantruming!), but it also has the magical power in keeping RJ's 7 month old girlfriend, Ashlan, calm in the car when we drive her home on Wednesdays. (Her mommy teaches a night class and they live in Tracy too, so I pick up Ashlan and take her home to her daddy, but lately she hasn't been napping in the car and the alternative has been screaming during about half of the 50 minute commute.)
And just recently, RJ started singing all by himself. His first song is "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star". And as you will hear, it's actually pretty recognizable!
No comments:
Post a Comment