I want to try out other sippy cups as well, since the Born Free does leak a little and it is plastic. I never thought that I would put so much time and energy into searching for a sippy cup (or toys or plates/bowls).Why is this such a production? Well, recent studies show that many plastics leach toxic chemicals into our food, more so when the plastic is heated. These chemicals are estrogenergic, meaning that they mimic the effects of estrogen. Right now the biggest worry are the chemicals Bisphenol-A (BPA) and phlalates - but with plastic, I'm sure that time will only show that all the Bisphenol-A free, phlalate free plastics have some other sort of toxic chemical leaching into our food and drink. The sad part is even baby product companies are not responsible enough to do this - bottles made by Avent & Dr. Brown among others are not BPA-free. Gerber even puts their organic food line into BPA leaching plastic. I bought Gerber Organic once, but I won't anymore since I learned that their packaging can leach BPA - I'm sticking to buying Earth's Best and O Organics (which comes in the traditional glass jars) for the baby food that I don't make myself. I made sure that the bottles we use for breast milk(All Medela products are BPA-free) and the Born Free Trainer Cup are on the current safe list , but the more I think about it, the more I want to avoid plastic as much as possible. So that leaves Stainless Steel for drink ware since giving a toddler glass is just silly.
I agonize over this because I want to give RJ the very best start in life. After all, I know that in no time he'll be trading his organic cookies for a twinkie or some equally horrible substance for his body, and there won't be much that I can do to prevent it unless I want him to become known as the bubble boy at school. So, while I can control things, I want to make sure that we give him the safest, most pure, and most environmentally conscious environment that we can. Hopefully some of it will stick!
I'm trying to decide between a few sippy cups at the moment. I could get a second Born Free, but I'd like a non-plastic option because I think they're safer.
Here are my options so far based on multiple reviews from http://www.naturemoms.com/blog/ and http://zrecs.blogspot.com/. I don't know these people or anything, but they gave detailed reviews of safe sippy cups.
The Safe Sippy $14.95
Thermos Foogo $14.99
Kleen Kanteen $16.99
I'm leaning toward the Kleen Kanteen because it converts from a sippy to a sports bottle top, so it doesn't have to be retired in a few years! I'm even thinking of getting the adult version for Lance and I. What do you think? We welcome your knowledge about safe products for children.
No comments:
Post a Comment